Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review : Funky Cafe Deli - CLOSED

256 King Street
Newtown NSW 2042
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Take Away
Mon-Wed 8am-11.30pm
Thu-Sun 8am-midnight

Funky Cafe Deli is a great little find right in the heart of Newtown. The perfect spot for a pre/post Dendy dinner or a leisurely lunch. On the occasion of my visit, I was lunching with my friend Michelle & her son Heath.


As we settled in I order a Honeydew tea, a luscious burst of honeydew and juicy apricots with smoky overtones of gunpowder green tea.
Michelle orders a celery, apple & ginger juice, which she described as refreshing & delicious. Heath sat in his pram watching the world go by.

As time came to order food I settled on the 'mushroom bruschetta' ($12.50)
This is a divine combination of mushrooms, taleggio, rocket & a sweet, sticky balsamic glaze.
The mushrooms plump & juicy, the taleggio rich & oozy sitting on top of crunchy woodfired bread. This was very moreish indeed.
I found myself thinking about it  on my scooter ride home.
"Could I have it again for dinner tonight?"

Michelle orders the 'salmon & potato wrap' ($11.50), a generous serve of rich potato salad draped with slices of smoked salmon & a watercress salad. Michelle commented on how good it was several times throughout the meal & gave it a definite 4 out of 5.


At this point Heath was in need of a play in the park, so it was time to settle the bill.
This cafe offers great value on tasty food in a pleasant, clean, child friendly environment and is a definite for a return visit....perhaps tonght?
Squeak
Funky Deli Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: